If you or your family suffered a brain injury in Laredo, TX, you may be entitled to significant compensation to cover your medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering. Contact an experienced Laredo brain injury lawyer at Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers to help you with your settlement at (956) 529-7336.
With more than 20 years of experience, we know what it takes to win complex personal injury cases. Our law firm has already recovered millions of dollars for clients like you over the years.
To learn more about our experience and case results, call our law offices in Laredo, Texas to schedule a free consultation today.
How Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help With a Brain Injury Claim in Laredo, TX
A brain injury can impact your life in many different ways. These types of injuries can be unpredictable. They can affect your ability to move, think, and reason. They’re also one of the most expensive types of injuries to treat.
If someone else was responsible, they can be held financially accountable. A Laredo personal injury lawyer at Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers is here to help.
Members of our law firm have been listed as Avvo top attorneys. We have also won the Avvo Clients’ Choice Award for our legal services.
When you hire our team, you’ll have a lawyer who will:
- Coordinate an investigation into the accident
- Gather evidence to prove causation and establish liability
- Identify all sources of insurance and other compensation
- Consult leading medical professionals and other experts
- Protect you if the insurance company claims you caused your own injuries
- Negotiate with the insurance companies and at-fault parties for a fair settlement
Because we work on a contingency fee basis, there’s no cost to hire us unless we recover compensation for you. To learn more about how we can help, contact our Laredo personal injury attorney for a free consultation today.
Brain Injuries: An Overview
A traumatic brain injury (TBI) is a type of injury that impacts how the brain functions. Typically, TBIs are caused by some type of external force or blow to the head.
Brain injuries can be mild, moderate, or severe.
The severity of any given brain injury depends on different factors, including:
- The region of the brain that was impacted
- The type of injury
Doctors initially classify brain injuries as open-head injuries or closed-head injuries.
Open-head injuries happen when the skull is penetrated. When the protective layer of bone is penetrated, the delicate brain tissue beneath can be damaged. The skull can be damaged by an external object or a trauma so severe that the skull is fractured.
Often, victims of open-head injuries require surgery to repair the damage.
Closed-head injuries occur when a force is so strong that the brain strikes the inside of the skull. The force of the trauma itself can cause significant brain damage.
Closed-head injuries can also occur when the brain is deprived of oxygen for a period of time.
We Represent Clients Struggling With All Types of Brain Injuries
At Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers, we handle all types of brain injury cases, including those involving:
- Contusions, or severe bruising of the brain tissue
- Intracerebral hemorrhage, or bleeding in the brain tissue
- Intraventricular hemorrhage, or bleeding in the brain’s ventricles
- Subarachnoid hemorrhage, or bleeding in the membranes around the brain
- Diastatic skull fractures
- Depressed skull fractures
- Subdural hematomas
- Edema, or swelling of the brain
- Diffuse axonal injuries (DAIs), where the brain is injured on both sides
- Birth injuries
- Hypoxia, or oxygen deprivation
If you or a family member are struggling with a serious brain injury due to someone else’s negligence, our team is here to help in any way we can. Call our accident lawyer in Laredo to schedule a free case review to learn more about this area of law.
What Are Some Common Signs and Symptoms of Brain Injuries?
The signs and symptoms of a brain injury can vary widely. They’ll depend on the type of injury you have suffered and the area of the brain that was impacted.
Some of the most common symptoms and signs that you have suffered a brain injury include:
- Persistent headache after a trauma
- Nausea or vomiting
- Confusion or memory loss
- Problems with balance or walking
- Slurred speech
- Blurred vision
- Ringing in the ears
- Dilated pupils
- Extreme irritability
- Weakness on one side of the body
- Changes in personality or behavior
- Loss of consciousness
Brain injury victims may experience one or more of these symptoms. However, they don’t always appear immediately. Some symptoms can take hours or even days to appear. That makes it especially important to seek medical care quickly if you have suffered any type of head trauma.
What Are the Long-Term Consequences of Serious Brain Injuries?
A severe brain injury can impact a person for the rest of their lives. The injury can affect the victim both physically and mentally.
Some of the most common long-term consequences of brain injuries include:
- Cognitive disabilities
- Loss of vision or complete blindness
- Loss of mobility
- Inability to speak
- Inability to understand speech
- Loss of inhibitions
- Changes in mood
- Memory loss
- Blood clots
- Wrongful death
Victims of severe brain injuries often suffer long-term mental health disorders, including depression and anxiety.
If the brain injury occurred because someone else was careless or reckless, you deserve to be compensated. Our personal injury lawyer in Laredo, Texas is here to help you fight for every dollar you deserve. We’re always here to discuss your case, so call for a free consultation today.
What Causes Most Brain Injuries?
Any type of trauma or blow to the head can cause brain damage.
Our Laredo brain injury attorney at Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers often represents clients in personal injury cases involving:
- Car accidents, motorcycle accidents, and other motor vehicle accidents
- Slip and fall accidents
- Accidents involving bicycles and pedestrians
- Truck accidents
- Bus accidents
- Recreational vehicle accidents
- Sports accidents
- Boating accidents
- Construction accidents
- Workplace accidents
- Dog bites
- Defective products
- Medical malpractice
- Nursing home abuse and neglect
- Assault and violence
Are you interested in learning more about your legal options after an accident? Give us a call to schedule a free case evaluation today. We’ll do everything we can to help your family navigate this difficult time.
What is My Laredo Brain Injury Case Worth?
Brain injury victims often require ongoing care for years after the injury. Some require around-the-clock care in a facility for the rest of their lives. To get a fair settlement, you first have to understand how much your personal injury case is worth.
Some of the factors that are most likely to influence your case value include:
- The overall severity of the injury
- The cost of your current medical treatment
- The types of medical care your doctor recommends for the future
- How the brain injury impacts your work, both now and in the future
- How the injury impacts your lifestyle and quality of life
- Whether you need in-home assistance or care in a facility
- How the injury affects your family and relationships
It’s also possible that the Texas modified comparative negligence rules could limit the amount of compensation you take home. If the insurance company blames you for the accident, your settlement or verdict could be reduced. If you share more than 50% of the blame, you could lose your right to compensation entirely.
What Kinds of Compensation Can I Recover If I Suffered a Brain Injury in Laredo, Texas?
Examples of these damages include:
- Medical bills, both current and future
- Nursing care
- Lost wages
- Lost future earning capacity
- Physical therapy
- In-home assistance
- Long-term care
- Property damage
- Pain and suffering
- Mental anguish
- Severe depression
- Diminished quality of life
- Loss of your independence
- Loss of consortium
If the defendant’s acts were particularly shocking or intentional, you may also be entitled to seek punitive damages to punish the responsible party.
How Long Do I Have to File a Brain Injury Lawsuit in the State of Texas?
You only have a limited amount of time to take action after an accident. In Texas, you have two years from the date of the injury to file a personal injury lawsuit.
The two-year statute of limitations applies in situations where you clearly know about the accident. In some cases, you may not discover the injury for some time.
For example, you could have more time to act if you were a victim of medical negligence and did not discover the medical error immediately. In these cases, the clock starts to run on the date you discover or reasonably should have discovered the injury.
Contact a Laredo Brain Injury Lawyer for a Free Initial Consultation
If you or a family member suffered brain damage in an accident, contact Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers for a free case review today. An experienced Laredo brain injury lawyer can help you fight to recover the full compensation available in your case.
Our personal injury law firm in Laredo, TX also provides:
- Laredo Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Laredo, TX
- Car Accident Attorney in Laredo, TX
- Laredo Dog Bite Lawyers
- Motorcycle Accident Lawyer in Laredo, TX
- Laredo Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
- Slip & Fall Lawyers in Laredo, TX
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Laredo, TX
- Laredo Workplace Accident Lawyer
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Laredo, TX