Were you or a family member injured in a bus accident in Laredo, TX? If so, you might be entitled to compensation for your injuries. However, obtaining that compensation could be an uphill battle against the bus company and its insurance provider.
Our Laredo bus accident lawyer at Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers has more than 25 years of legal experience. He uses his experience as a former claims adjuster and prosecutor to aggressively represent the interests of injured victims and their families. Since opening his firm, Attorney Roderick C. Lopez has recovered millions of dollars in jury verdicts and settlements.
How Our Laredo Personal Injury Lawyer Can Help if You’ve Been Injured in a Bus Accident in Texas
Bus accident claims are complex personal injury cases. The case may involve government entities and large corporations. Sometimes, more than one party could share liability for your damages.
At Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers, we have extensive experience handling complicated personal injury cases. Our legal team understands the issues involved after a bus accident and how to protect your rights.
Attorney Roderick C. Lopez has received numerous awards and honors throughout his legal career. He received the Client’s Choice Award from Avvo and is recognized as a Texas Super Lawyer by Super Lawyers Magazine. He is also a member of the Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
For more than two decades, our Texas personal injury lawyer has used his skills, resources, and unique blend of experience to fight for the rights of injured parties. We provide personalized legal representation. Your best interests are our top priority.
When you hire our top-rated Laredo personal injury lawyer, we’ll handle all aspects of your case; we will:
- Complete an extensive, independent investigation to determine what caused the bus accident
- Identify all parties who may share liability for your damages
- Monitor investigations by city, county, and state agencies
- Gather evidence proving causation and fault, including working with expert witnesses as necessary
- Handle all paperwork for insurance claims and personal injury lawsuits
- Negotiate settlements that compensate you fairly for your damages
- File a lawsuit and aggressively pursue the matter in court, if necessary
Our Laredo bus accident attorney provides a free case evaluation so you can learn more about your legal options and how we can help with your case. Call Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers today to schedule your free consultation with an experienced bus accident lawyer in Laredo, Texas.
What Causes Bus Accidents in Laredo, TX?
Thousands of people are injured and killed in bus accidents each year. Sadly, many bus accidents are caused by human error and negligence. However, other factors can contribute to the cause of these collisions.
Common causes of bus accidents in Laredo include:
- Distracted driving by bus drivers and other motorists
- Mechanical failures and defective bus parts
- Dangerous lane changes
- Inexperienced bus drivers
- Driving under the influence of alcohol/drugs
- Speeding and reckless driving
- Hazardous road conditions
- Failure to follow Texas traffic laws
- Inadequate inspection and bus maintenance
- Negligence hiring practices
- Fatigued driving
Identifying each factor that contributed to the cause of the bus crash is crucial. The party responsible for those factors could be liable for your damages. Our Laredo bus accident attorney will work diligently to identify all responsible parties to increase the sources of compensation for your claim.
Who Is Liable in a Bus Accident Claim in Laredo, TX?
Determining liability for a bus accident can be challenging. Several parties may share responsibility for the cause of the crash.
Examples of parties that could be liable in a bus accident claim include:
- Bus drivers
- Bus companies
- Government entities
- Bus and part manufacturers
- Repair and maintenance facilities
- Other drivers and third parties on the road
- School districts
The El Metro provides bus service in Laredo. The City of Laredo contracts with Hendrickson Transportation Group for bus operations. Therefore, the city or the bus operator could be liable if their negligence or other wrongful acts contributed to the cause of a city bus accident.
Common Injuries Caused by Bus Accidents in Texas
Buses are heavy, large vehicles that can cause catastrophic injuries if they are involved in a traffic accident. Bus accident victims may be so severely injured that they have lifelong disabling conditions.
Common bus accident injuries include:
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Crushing injuries
- Fractures and broken bones
- Lacerations and abrasions
- Soft tissue injuries
- Spinal cord injuries
- Back injuries
- Internal organ damage
- Neck injuries, including whiplash
- Nerve damage
- Loss of limbs and amputations
- Severe burns
Prompt medical treatment can save your life and improve your chance of making a full recovery after a bus accident. It also helps strengthen your personal injury claim for damages. Delays in medical care can hurt your case, so always seek immediate medical treatment after a bus accident, regardless of the severity of your injuries.
What Damages Could I Receive in a Laredo Bus Accident Case?
The financial, emotional, and physical damages caused by a bus accident can be significant. Even a minor injury could result in thousands of dollars in lost wages and medical bills.
Examples of damages in a bus accident claim include:
- The cost of past and future medical care and treatment
- Occupational, physical, and rehabilitative therapies
- Loss of income, including wages, benefits, and earning capacity
- Diminished quality of life and loss of enjoyment of life
- Physical pain and suffering
- Emotional distress and mental anguish
- Scarring, disability, impairment, and disfigurement
- Out-of-pocket expenses
- The cost of in-home and long-term nursing and/or personal care
The amount you receive in a bus accident claim depends on numerous factors. The Texas comparative fault law could bar you from recovering compensation if your actions contributed to the cause of the bus crash by 51% or more. If your fault is 50% or less, the court can reduce your compensation by the percentage of fault assigned to you by a jury.
We will work diligently to document all damages to increase how much your case is worth. We’ll defend you against allegations of shared fault and work to minimize any factors that could lower the value of your damages.
What Is the Value of My Laredo Bus Accident Claim?
Each case is unique. Therefore, you should not base the value of your claim on another case. The facts and circumstances of your situation determine how much your case is worth.
Factors that affect the value of a bus accident claim include, but are not limited to:
- The type and severity of your injuries
- The medical treatments you receive
- The duration of your recovery period
- Your appearance before and after the bus accident (i.e., disfigurement)
- Whether you sustained a permanent impairment or disability
- The parties involved in the case
- The strength of your evidence proving negligence and liability
- The amount of your financial losses and expenses
- Whether you could be partially to blame for causing the bus accident
- Your ability to return to work or perform other activities to earn a living
- Whether you need ongoing medical, nursing, or personal care
- The availability of liability insurance coverage and the policy limits
There is no standard calculator or formula for determining how much a bus accident claim is worth. Before you agree to a settlement, talk with our Laredo bus accident lawyer. The insurance company and at-fault parties will try to avoid liability, so the amount they offer to settle your case could be much lower than the value of your damages.
What Is the Statute of Limitations for a Bus Accident Claim in Laredo, Texas?
However, there are exceptions to the rule. If you sue the State of Texas, you must file a written notice of claim with the appropriate authority within 180 days of the accident. Failing to file the notice of claim could bar your recovery.
The time to file a notice of claim is shorter if you sue the City of Laredo. You only have 60 days from the accident date to file a notice of claim, or you could lose your right to pursue damages.
Other exceptions and factors could change the filing deadline for a bus accident lawsuit or claim. The best way to avoid a problem is to speak with our personal injury lawyer in Laredo as soon as possible after a bus crash.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Laredo Bus Accident Lawyer
You deserve to be compensated for the injuries and damages caused by a bus accident. At Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers, we want to help you get the justice you deserve. Call us today at (956) 529-7336 to request a free case review with an experienced Laredo bus accident attorney.