Did you recently get hit by a car while walking in Laredo, Texas? Contact a lawyer from Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers for immediate assistance at (956) 529-7336. An experienced Laredo pedestrian accident lawyer can help you pursue the compensation you deserve to cover your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
Attorney Roderick C. Lopez is a former insurance defense attorney with 20+ years of experience. Since shifting gears to fight for catastrophically injured accident victims in Laredo, he’s won millions in life-changing settlements and verdicts for his clients. Now he’s ready to help you achieve top results.
Don’t give the insurance company an inch. Put your pedestrian accident case in the hands of a trusted and successful litigator. Call our law office in Laredo, TX, now to schedule a free consultation.
How Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers Can Help After a Pedestrian Accident in Laredo
Why did your pedestrian accident happen? Who’s at fault? How can you know if the insurance company’s settlement offer is fair? What if the insurer (or at-fault motorist) tries to blame you for the crash?
These aren’t questions you should have to tackle on your own after you’ve been hit by a car in Laredo. Fortunately, you don’t have to. That’s where the Laredo personal injury lawyers at Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers can help.
For more than 20 years, Attorney Roderick Lopez has handled complex insurance disputes – both for and against insurance companies. Today, he lends his considerable insight into this complex system to crash victims and grieving families across Laredo.
When you turn to Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers for help with your pedestrian injury claim, we can:
- Consult with medical professionals, accident reconstructionists, rehabilitation specialists, and other experts
- Investigate the cause of your pedestrian accident
- Gather medical records, accident reports, witness testimony, photographs, physical evidence from the scene, video footage, and other evidence
- File necessary legal claims and documents with the insurance company and/or court on your behalf
- Help you make important decisions about the future of your claim and financial recovery
- Litigate your case at trial if you don’t receive a top-dollar settlement offer during negotiations
There’s no out-of-pocket cost to hire our experienced pedestrian accident attorney in Laredo. You only pay if we win or settle your case.
Contact our law office in Laredo, TX, to set up a free, no-obligation case assessment now. We’re here to help 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
How Common Are Pedestrian Accidents in Texas?
Every year, thousands of pedestrians are involved in motor vehicle accidents across the State of Texas. According to crash stats published by the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT), 5,366 pedestrian accidents were reported statewide in 2021.
There are roughly 14 to 15 car accidents involving pedestrians every single day in Texas.
Since pedestrians have very little to protect themselves in a wreck, many of these accidents are catastrophic. In 2021, 910 pedestrian accidents were fatal, resulting in 914 deaths.
Another 1,672 auto accidents left 1,713 pedestrians struggling with serious, potentially permanent injuries.
Research shows that most pedestrian accidents tend to happen in urban parts of the state, like Laredo.
What Causes Most Laredo Pedestrian Accidents?
Negligence is the leading cause of pedestrian accidents in Laredo, TX. Typically, motorists forget that they’re sharing the road with vulnerable pedestrians and engage in behaviors that increase the risk of potentially catastrophic auto accidents.
Common contributing factors include:
- Rolling stops
- Running red lights and stop signs
- Failing to yield the right of way to pedestrians in a crosswalk
- Distracted driving
- Drunk driving
- Illegal turns
- Unsafe passing
Sometimes factors outside of a motorist’s control can also contribute to a pedestrian accident. This might include a lack of dedicated pedestrian infrastructure forcing pedestrians into the road, broken or damaged sidewalks, limited visibility, bad weather, or vehicle defects.
Our pedestrian accident lawyers in Laredo will carefully review the details of your wreck to determine how and why it happened. Identifying all potential causes is essential for a successful claim for damages.
What’s My Laredo Pedestrian Injury Claim Worth?
It depends. Many factors will impact the potential value of your pedestrian injury claim.
- What types of injuries have you suffered?
- Are your injuries catastrophic or have the potential to permanently alter your life?
- Will you require long-term medical treatment as you recover?
- What are your out-of-pocket costs?
- Will you require personal care or nursing assistance?
- Did your own negligence contribute to your accident?
- What insurance benefits are available?
- Did your accident aggravate any pre-existing medical issues?
- How has your ability to work and earn an income changed?
The more your life changes after your pedestrian accident – and the higher your related costs – the more you can typically expect to recover in a related personal injury claim for damages.
What Damages Can I Recover If I’ve Been Injured in a Pedestrian Accident?
In Texas, injured pedestrians are generally eligible to receive compensatory damages in an insurance claim or lawsuit.
Compensatory damages include:
- Economic damages to offset verifiable financial costs and losses associated with your pedestrian accident, and
- Non-economic damages to compensate for the traumatic life changes you experience because you were struck by a motor vehicle.
Potential awards include money for:
- Current medical bills, including the cost of hospitalization, surgery, medication, and medical devices
- Future medical expenses related to follow-up treatment and rehabilitation
- Property damage
- Costs related to nursing care while you recover
- Lost wages and income
- Lost job opportunities
- Funeral expenses if a Laredo pedestrian accident is fatal
- Chronic physical pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment of life
- Emotional distress
- Disfigurement and physical scarring
- Loss of consortium
If your pedestrian accident lawsuit goes to trial, a jury could also award punitive damages. In Texas, a jury must find convincing evidence of gross negligence or intentionally harmful actions to issue a punitive award.
Can I Still Recover Compensation If I’m Getting Blamed For a Pedestrian Accident in Texas?
Potentially, yes. However, your financial award will be affected by your contributory negligence.
In Texas, a modified comparative negligence system is applied to personal injury disputes. There is an absolute 51 percent bar to recovery.
Simply put, you can recover compensation for injuries sustained in a pedestrian accident as long as your liability does not exceed 50 percent.
Once you’re mostly to blame, your right to recover compensation from a third party disappears.
If you’re somewhat to blame, damages are reduced proportionately. If you’re 10 percent at fault, your damages are reduced by 10 percent. So, you could receive $90,000 instead of $100,000 when shared fault is considered.
Our Laredo pedestrian accident attorney will aggressively defend you against the insurance company’s efforts to blame you for your injuries. The less liability you’re assigned, the more money you can receive through a settlement or jury award.
Pedestrians Are Susceptible to Catastrophic Injuries in Laredo Auto Accidents
Occupants of large vehicles are protected by airbags, seatbelts, and large steel frames. Bicyclists and motorcyclists have helmets to reduce the risk of serious injury or death. Pedestrians have next to nothing to protect them in a crash.
That’s why pedestrians who are involved in Laredo traffic accidents commonly sustain:
- Traumatic brain injury
- Spinal cord injury
- Severe burns
- Catastrophic injury
- Eye injury
- Nerve damage
- Joint injury
- Back injury
- Soft tissue injury
- Broken bones
- Wrongful death
Get to the closest hospital in Laredo as soon as you can after you’re struck by a motor vehicle. Getting emergency medical treatment can limit the risks of complications and help to generate a formal record of your injuries. Together, these steps can help you stay safe and increase the odds of a meaningful financial recovery down the line.
What’s the Statute of Limitations for Texas Pedestrian Accident Lawsuits?
You will generally have two years from the date of your pedestrian accident in Laredo to file a personal injury claim for damages.
Once the statute of limitations expires, you give up the opportunity to demand financial justice and recover the compensation you deserve.
Schedule a Free Consultation With an Experienced Laredo Pedestrian Accident Attorney
You don’t have to deal with the devastating consequences of a pedestrian accident on your own. If you’ve been injured because someone else was negligent or careless, Roderick C. Lopez Personal Injury Lawyers can help you seek a substantial monetary award.
Our Laredo pedestrian accident attorney has 20+ years of experience and a proven ability to make the insurance company pay top dollar.
Call our law office serving Laredo, TX, and surrounding areas to set up a free consultation today.
Our personal injury law firm in Laredo, TX also provides:
- Laredo Bicycle Accident Lawyer
- Brain Injury Attorneys in Laredo, TX
- Laredo Dog Bite Lawyers
- Laredo Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
- Slip & Fall Lawyers in Laredo, TX
- Truck Accident Attorneys in Laredo, TX
- Laredo Workplace Accident Lawyer
- Wrongful Death Attorney in Laredo, TX
- Product Liability Attorneys in Laredo
- Medical Malpractice Attorneys in Laredo, TX